Technology has really simplified the way businesses transact. Only a few years ago it was not that easy to transfer money from one bank to another, let alone from one country to another.
However, technological advancements have literally transformed our world into a global village. With several companies launching global money transfer services in Australia, anyone can send or receive money to Australia in a matter of minutes, if not seconds.
Long gone are the days when people only relied on expensive banks to deposit and withdraw cash or even send money to other countries. The convenience and savings in fees offered by online money transfer companies have made most people turn away from their trusted banks to using other means.
Our goal is to become your one-stop hub for all things international moving. You can compare moving companies and find useful resources to assist you when preparing for an international move.
Depending on the Australian online money transfer company, it may take you from a few minutes to an hour before you receive money in your mobile wallet or bank account after the transfer has been initiated.
If you are not familiar with some of the international money transfers, below is a list of the top 10 money transfer companies in Australia for sending money overseas from Australia:
|LEARN MORE →|
|LEARN MORE →|
XE MONEY TRANSFER
|LEARN MORE →|
|LEARN MORE →|
|LEARN MORE →|
|LEARN MORE →|
|LEARN MORE →|
Table of Contents
1. Send (Our #1 Recommendation)
Send Payments are a multi-award winning international money transfer company who specialise in the relocation and migration industry.
Their co-founders have over 20 years-experience in the international payments and relocation sector. Most of their team have lived in multiple cities around the world so they have a first-hand experience of the pain points that can be associated with relocating internationally, particularly when it comes to transferring large volumes of money from one country to another for reasons such as transferring the proceeds of a property sale to another country or purchasing a new property.
There are several advantages and disadvantages to using Send as a money transfer service. It is important to understand these merits and demerits for you to make the right decision.
- Personal account managers that you can speak to and discuss your move and money transfer requirements
- 24/7 multi-currency payments platform that enables same-day payments to over 200 countries with zero fees
- Knowledge in other areas that can help with your move such as opening bank accounts in other countries and currency restrictions
- Send are great for larger transfers and our best international money transfer from $1,000,000 AUD
- Send do not accept debit or credit card payments
Send Quick Summary:
|💱 Currencies||50+ provided|
|🏢Offices||Gold Coast, Sydney, Melbourne|
|📱 Platforms||Retail presence, phone service, online service|
|⚖️ Regulation||Australian Financial Services Licence (AFSL) holder|
|🏆 Awards||Finnies finalist, Mozo experts choice|
|🌟Reviews||Excellent, 4.7 on TrustPilot|
|💰 Fees||No transfer fees|
|📈 Trading Volume||11,000 payments in 2021, trading $270 million in currency in 2021|
|🌐 Official Website||Visit Send|
2. TorFX (Our close #2 pick)
TorFX is another major money transfer company with offices in the United Kingdom and Australia.
One major advantage of using TorFX is the fact that it allows its customers to send money through a variety of options. For instance, they can use bank transfer, credit cards among others.
There are several advantages and disadvantages to using TorFX as a money transfer service. It is important to understand these merits and demerits for you to make the right decision.
- Customers can send money through the internet and via phone
- Has a great customer service experience
- It has several physical locations where customers can get face-to-face customer support
- Some exotic currencies are not supported
XE Money Transfer is another respected international money transfer company. They are popular mainly because of the lower exchange rates they offer compared to banks. XE is available in more than 172 countries and users can send and receive money in different currencies.
Pros and cons of XE
Just like any service, XE has its own merits and demerits. Below is a summary of what you should know about the company’s services:
- It is one of the most trusted brands in international money transfers
- It allows the transfer of money in 60 currencies
- It doesn’t have transfer fees
- It doesn’t support card payments
How to send money through XE
The first step is to set up an account with your personal details such as email address, names, occupation social security number among others. After your account is approved, you are ready to go.
Transfer speed and rates
XE doesn’t charge customers for sending money. Most XE transfers are completed within the same day and a maximum of 4 days.
OFX has existed in the money transfer business for more than 20 years. To date, the company has transacted more than €67 billion. The company has operation offices in San Francisco, London, Hong Kong, Sydney, Toronto, and Auckland.
OFX is known for its premier 24/7 customer services as well as lower fees and exchange rates.
Pros and cons of OFX
OFX just like any other money transfer company has its benefits and flaws. Those are the main things to look at when deciding whether to use it to transfer your money or choose another provider.
- It has competitive exchange rates
- Has a mobile app and online experience
- It has several physical offices across the world – important for people who want to get a one-on-one customer experience
- The minimum amount one can transfer through this platform is $1,000
Sending money through OFX
There are several steps that one is supposed to follow before getting started with OFX. For instance, you will have to set up an account by providing personal information such as social security number, driver’s license among others.
After the company verifies your account and gives you access to the platform, you can then set up your transfer method and start sending or receiving money. The entire process can be done through their platform o your mobile phone.
Wise is one of the most popular money transfer companies in the world. The company is mainly focused on money transfer from one bank to another across different countries.
One of the reasons why most people prefer Transferwise is the fact that they charge very minimal fees compared to banks.
Besides, Transferwise is one of the most transparent companies in terms of their exchange rates and transaction fees.
This means that you get to know how much the recipient will get before you press the send button. Transferwise is available in 22 countries and users can receive and send money in 27 currencies.
Pros and cons of Transferwise
- It is cheaper to transfer money compared to banks
- It is very transparent with its exchange rates
- Users receive funds with 24-48 hours
- It only allows for bank to bank transfers
- All transactions are conducted online
How to send money via Wise
In order to use Wise, one needs to set up an account by providing their personal details such as phone number, address, social security number among others.
Besides, you also need the details of the recipient such as the International Bank Account Number (IBAN) – to be able to send the money.
Transfer speed and rates
It takes between 3 to 5 business days to send money through Transferwise. The company also provides mid-market rates that are guaranteed within a period of 48 hours.
6. WorldFirst (Business Transfers Only)
WorldFirst has been operating for several years now. Its services are available in over 100 countries in the world. The company boasts of a wide network – with several agents across the world.
Pros and Cons
- It has a wider network coverage
- Payments can be made via debit or credit cards
- Home delivery is available in certain areas
- Cost of money transfer are high – especially when using cards
- There’s a limit as to how much one can transfer in a month
Sending money through WorlFirst
To be able to use WorldFirst, one will have to set up an account by providing personal details and national ID or passport for verification.
WorldRemit is has been in the industry for quite a while. Their services are available in 150 countries and transact in more than 90 currencies across the globe.
The good thing about WorldRemit is that they give their customers a variety of methods to send money across the world. For instance, you can send money through cash pickups, bank transfers, or mobile money.
WordRemit is able to effect transactions within minutes.
Pros and cons
There are several advantages and disadvantages that come with using WorldRemit.
- It is available in almost every country on earth
- Their transfers are almost instant
- Provides a wide range of delivery options such as cash pickups, mobile, and bank transfers
- It supports several payment options such as bank deposits, debit cards, and credit cards
- It charges relatively higher fees compared to other money transfer companies
How to send money using WorldRemit
Signing up for WorldRemit is not a complex process. All you have to do is provide your personal details and offer valid proof of your identity in terms of address.
You can scan and upload the documents. As soon as your account has been approved, you can start sending money using different methods available on the platform.
Transfer speed and rates
WorldRemit is one of the fastest money transfer companies. The recipient can receive money in a matter of seconds. When it comes to transferring charges, you might pay anything between $3. 99 to $24.99.
Payoneer is a veteran in the international money transfer industry. The company’s services are present in 200 countries and transact close to 150 currencies. Payoneer enjoys partnerships with international big brands such as Google, Amazon, Upwork, and Airbnb.
All the above companies conduct their payments through Payoneer. The company also works with major eCommerce brands such as Walmart and freelance websites like Fiverr.
Pros and cons
Payoneer is known to perform best in certain areas whereas lags behind in others.
- It is present in more than 200 countries
- There are no charges between Payoneer accounts
- Custom service where you can request payment from clients
How to use Payoneer
The signing up process for Payoneer is not very different from other companies. You will be required to set up a professional profile and then fill in your personal details. You will also need to upload identity verification details such as Driver’s license or passport.
The company will take a few days to verify your documents and decide whether to approve or decline your application.
CurrencyFair is another major online payment company with its headquarters in Ireland. The company is largely known among forex traders and online gambling firms. CurrencyFair currently has a customer base of about 200,000.
The company has also positioned itself as the best platform for cryptocurrency trade. One major advantage of CurrencyFair is that it facilitates almost instant money transfer services across the world.
Pros and cons of using CurrencyFair
It provides a wide range of services that can’t be found in any other money transfer platform. Nonetheless, it also has a few setbacks that are important to consider before you decide to use their services.
- Allows customers to send or receive money through mobile phones
- Their services are available in over 200 countries
- You can transfer money to online gambling platforms
- Allows anyone to buy and sell cryptocurrencies
- Transfers are almost instant
- It has a complex fee structure system
- Their transaction fees are relatively higher
How to use CurrencyFair
It is easy to get started with CurrencyFair. You can either open a personal or business account by providing your personal details and documents for verification. The sign-up process is simple and can take a few minutes to complete.
The company will then take at least 3 business days to cross-check your details before approving your account.
10. Global Reach
Global Reach is a money transfer platform that allows citizens in Australia, Canada, UK, the US, and those in the Eurozone to send transfer money to more than 40 countries across the world.
The company which was founded in 2002 has demonstrated its ability to offer exceptional money transfer services to its customers across the world.
Global Reach has a wide range of payment options and appears to be one of the most trusted companies in the United States and the UK.
Pros and cons
Before you choose to use Global Reach, there are several things you should consider about them. Below is a brief summary:
- The company has various payment methods such as mobile wallet deposits, cash pickups, and bank transfers
- A recipient can collect money from any participating bank in the country
- A sender can lock in the exchange rate after making a transaction
- The amount one can transfer within a day is low
- Some payment options have higher transfer charges
Sending money through Global Reach
The first step involves setting up an account. You will be asked to provide personal details such as email addresses, phone numbers, and social security numbers among others.
As soon as your account is ready, you can choose whatever payment option you prefer and send money to wherever you want.
Other notable companies
Western Union is another giant in the when it comes to international money transfer and cash remittance market. The payment method was started back in 1851 – that’s’ more than 169 years of experience in the money transfer business.
Western Union has more than 500,000 agents spread across the world – making it one of the largest money transfer companies.
Pros and cons
Below are advantages and disadvantages of Western Union that will help you make an informed decision:
- Has different payment methods
- It operates in more than 200 hundred countries
- Fast transfer
- Their exchange rates and transaction fees on their international wire transfers are often high compared to other providers
Ria Money Transfer
- Wide global reach: Ria’s extensive network enables users to send money to recipients in over 160 countries, making it a convenient option for those with international transfer needs.
- Multiple transfer options: Ria offers a variety of ways to send and receive funds, including bank account transfers, cash pick-ups, and home delivery in some countries. This flexibility allows users to choose the method that best suits their needs and the recipient’s preferences.
- Competitive fees and exchange rates: Ria’s fees are generally competitive when compared to other money transfer services, especially for certain corridors and transfer amounts. Additionally, Ria’s exchange rates are often more favorable than those offered by traditional banks.
- Fast transfer times: Ria’s transfer speeds can be as quick as 15 minutes for cash pick-up transactions, making it an attractive choice for those who require urgent transfers.
- User-friendly online platform: Ria’s website and mobile app are easy to navigate, allowing users to quickly initiate transfers, track their transactions, and access customer support.
- Inconsistent fees and exchange rates: While Ria’s fees and exchange rates can be competitive, they may vary depending on the transfer amount, destination country, and method of sending and receiving funds. Users may need to compare Ria’s fees and rates with other providers for each specific transaction.
- Limited availability for home delivery: While Ria offers home delivery of funds in some countries, this service is not available in all locations, limiting its convenience for certain recipients.
- Transfer limits: Ria imposes limits on the amount of money that can be sent in a single transaction, as well as daily, monthly, and annual limits. These restrictions may not suit users who need to transfer large sums of money.
- Customer service: Although Ria generally provides responsive customer service, some users have reported delays or difficulties in resolving issues related to their transactions.
- Not all countries support online transfers: In some countries, Ria does not offer online transfers, requiring users to visit a physical location to send money. This can be inconvenient for those who prefer the ease and convenience of online transactions.
Online Money Transfer in Australia: Selecting a Reliable Money Transfer Service
Online money transfers offer a convenient and secure means for Australians to send and receive funds internationally. In this section, we will discuss the key steps involved in making online money transfers, the benefits of using such services, and important considerations to keep in mind to ensure a smooth transaction.
Before initiating an international money transfer, it is crucial to choose a reliable service provider that caters to your specific needs. Comparing different services based on factors such as fees, exchange rates, and transfer speeds will help you make an informed decision.
- Fees and exchange rates: The cost of transferring money internationally can vary significantly between providers. To find the most cost-effective option, compare the fees charged for sending the amount you wish to transfer, as well as the exchange rates offered. Some providers may offer low fees but less favorable exchange rates, while others may charge higher fees but provide more competitive rates. Consider the overall cost of the transaction to ensure you are getting the best deal.
- Transfer speed: The time it takes to complete a transfer can range from a few minutes to several days, depending on the provider and the destination country. If time is of the essence, prioritize services that offer faster transfer options.
- Reputation, security, and customer support: Choose a provider with a solid reputation for safety and reliability. Read reviews and testimonials from other users to gauge their experiences. Additionally, confirm that the service employs robust security measures to protect your personal and financial information. A responsive and helpful customer support team is also important in case you encounter any issues during the transfer process.
- Regulatory compliance: Ensure that the money transfer service you select is licensed and regulated by the relevant financial authorities in Australia, such as the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) or the Australian Transaction Reports and Analysis Centre (AUSTRAC). This will provide added assurance that your funds are being handled responsibly and securely.
How To Send Money Overseas Online
Once you have chosen a suitable money transfer service, follow these steps to initiate the transaction:
- Create an account: Sign up for an account with the chosen provider, providing your name, contact details, and other required information. You may be asked to verify your identity by submitting a copy of your passport, driver’s license, or another form of identification.
- Enter recipient’s details: Provide the recipient’s full name, contact information, and bank account details. Double-check all information to avoid delays or errors in the transfer. Choose the desired currency for the transaction, which will typically be the recipient’s local currency.
- Confirm transfer amount and fees: Input the amount you wish to send and review the applicable fees and exchange rate. Some providers may offer a range of transfer options, such as priority transfers with higher fees for faster processing or lower-cost options for slower transfers. Select the option that best suits your needs.
- Review and execute the transfer: Carefully review all transaction details, including the recipient’s information, transfer amount, fees, and exchange rate. Once you are satisfied that everything is accurate, confirm and execute the transfer. The provider may require you to fund the transaction using a bank transfer, credit card, or another payment method. Follow the instructions provided to complete the transaction.
Tracking and Receiving Funds
After initiating the international money transfer, it is essential to monitor the progress of the transaction to ensure it is successfully completed.
- Monitoring the transfer progress: Most money transfer services provide a tracking number or reference code, which can be used to check the status of your transaction online or through their customer support. Keep a record of this number for future reference.
- Notifications and status updates: Some providers offer email or SMS notifications to update you on the progress of your transfer. These updates can help you stay informed about the transfer’s status, such as when it has been processed, dispatched, and received by the recipient.
- Recipient’s responsibilities and requirements: The recipient may need to provide identification or other documentation to their bank or financial institution to receive the funds, depending on local regulations and policies. Ensure that the recipient is aware of these requirements to avoid delays in accessing the funds.
Safeguarding Your Transfers
To minimize the risk of issues arising during the international money transfer process, follow these safety tips:
- Verify the recipient’s identity and contact information: Double-check the recipient’s name, address, and bank account details before initiating the transfer. Incorrect information can result in delays or, in some cases, the funds being sent to the wrong person or account.
- Be aware of common scams and frauds: Familiarize yourself with common money transfer scams, such as requests for funds from unknown individuals or organizations, fake job offers, or lottery winnings. Never send money to someone you have not met in person or to an organization that cannot be verified.
- Protect your personal and financial information: Do not share sensitive information, such as your bank account details or passwords, with anyone. When using a public computer or Wi-Fi network, take extra precautions to ensure your information remains secure.
International money transfers play a crucial role in today’s interconnected world, and Australians can confidently engage in these transactions by following the best practices outlined in this guide. By selecting a reliable money transfer service, carefully initiating the transfer process, tracking the progress of your funds, and safeguarding your transactions, you can enjoy the convenience and security of sending money overseas.
In summary, Send is our top pick when it comes to transferring money to or from Australia.
Frequenty Asked Questions
How long does an internatoinal money transfer take?
The time it takes for money to transfer depends on several factors, including the transfer service, the method of sending and receiving funds, the destination country, and the financial institutions involved. Here are some general guidelines for different transfer methods:
- Bank transfers: Traditional bank-to-bank transfers, also known as wire transfers, can take anywhere from 1 to 5 business days, depending on the banks and countries involved. Some banks offer expedited transfer options for an additional fee, which can reduce the transfer time to 1-2 business days.
- Online money transfer services: Services like Wise, Ria, Western Union, and MoneyGram typically offer faster transfer times compared to traditional banks. Depending on the service and the destination country, transfers can be completed within minutes or up to 3 business days. Some providers offer different transfer speed options at varying fees, allowing users to choose between faster, more expensive transfers and slower, more cost-effective options.
- Peer-to-peer (P2P) transfers: Apps and services like PayPal, Venmo, or Zelle facilitate quick transfers between individuals, often within minutes or hours. However, these services are typically designed for domestic transfers and may not support international transactions.
It’s important to note that factors such as weekends, public holidays, and the recipient bank’s processing times can also impact the overall transfer time. Always check with the specific transfer service you’re using for accurate information on transfer times and potential delays.
What are wire transfers?
Matt is a veteran of the moving industry, a recognized moving expert and is the founder of Mover Focus. Matt holds a Bachelor of Commerce (BCom) majoring in Finance and Marketing and Bachelor of Arts (BA) majoring in Economics and History. He also has completed the EiM (Essentials in International Moving) course from the FIDI Academy. His advice has been featured in Reader’s Digest, Yahoo Finance, MSN Money, Business News Daily and The SpareFoot Blog Go. Read more.