Technology has really simplified the way businesses transact. Only a few years ago it was not that easy to transfer money from one bank to another, let alone from one country to another.
However, technological advancements have literally transformed our world into a global village. With several companies launching money transfer services in Australia, anyone can send or receive money to Australia in a matter of minutes, if not seconds.
Long gone are the days when people only relied on expensive banks to deposit and withdraw cash or even send money to other countries. The convenience and savings in fees offered by online money transfer companies have made most people turn away from their trusted banks to using other means.
Depending on the Australian online money transfer company, it may take you from a few minutes to an hour before you receive money in your mobile wallet or bank account after the transfer has been initiated.
If you are not familiar with some of the international money transfers, below is a list of the top 10 money transfer companies in Australia:
1. XE Money Transfer (Our #1 Recommendation)
XE Money Transfer is another respected international money transfer company. They are popular mainly because of the lower exchange rates they offer compared to banks. XE is available in more than 172 countries and users can send and receive money in different currencies.
Pros and cons of XE
Just like any service, XE has its own merits and demerits. Below is a summary of what you should know about the company’s services:
- It is one of the most trusted brands in international money transfers
- It allows the transfer of money in 60 currencies
- It doesn’t have transfer fees
- It doesn’t support card payments
- Exchange rates are only available for people who make transfers
How to send money through XE
The first step is to set up an account with your personal details such as email address, names, occupation social security number among others. After your account is approved, you are ready to go.
Transfer speed and rates
XE doesn’t charge customers for sending money. Most XE transfers are completed within the same day and a maximum of 4 days.
TorFX is another major money transfer company with offices in the United Kingdom and Australia.
One major advantage of using TorFX is the fact that it allows its customers to send money through a variety of options. For instance, they can use bank transfer, credit cards among others.
There are several advantages and disadvantages to using TorFX as a money transfer service. It is important to understand these merits and demerits for you to make the right decision.
- Customers can send money through the internet and via phone
- Has a great customer service experience
- It has several physical locations where customers can get face-to-face customer support
- The company charges up to $15 in terms of transfer fees
- The exchange rates are not as low compared to other money transfer companies
- It’s not regulated in some countries such as the United States and Canada
Transferwise is one of the most popular money transfer companies in the world. The company is mainly focused on money transfer from one bank to another across different countries.
One of the reasons why most people prefer Transferwise is the fact that they charge very minimal fees compared to banks.
Besides, Transferwise is one of the most transparent companies in terms of their exchange rates and transaction fees.
This means that you get to know how much the recipient will get before you press the send button. Transferwise is available in 22 countries and users can receive and send money in 27 currencies.
Pros and cons of Transferwise
- It is cheaper to transfer money compared to banks
- It is very transparent with its exchange rates
- Users receive funds with 24-48 hours
- It only allows for bank to bank transfers
- All transactions are conducted online
How to send money via Transferwise
In order to use Transferwise, one needs to set up an account by providing their personal details such as phone number, address, social security number among others.
Besides, you also need the details of the recipient such as the International Bank Account Number (IBAN) – to be able to send the money.
Transfer speed and rates
It takes between 3 to 5 business days to send money through Transferwise. The company also provides mid-market rates that are guaranteed within a period of 48 hours.
WorldFirst has been operating for several years now. Its services are available in over 100 countries in the world. The company boasts of a wide network – with several agents across the world.
Pros and Cons
- It has a wider network coverage
- Payments can be made via debit or credit cards
- Home delivery is available in certain areas
- Cost of money transfer are high – especially when using cards
- There’s a limit as to how much one can transfer in a month
Sending money through WorlFirst
To be able to use WorldFirst, one will have to set up an account by providing personal details and national ID or passport for verification.
OFX has existed in the money transfer business for more than 20 years. To date, the company has transacted more than €67 billion. The company has operation offices in San Francisco, London, Hong Kong, Sydney, Toronto, and Auckland.
OFX is known for its premier 24/7 customer services as well as lower fees and exchange rates.
Pros and cons of OFX
OFX just like any other money transfer company has its benefits and flaws. Those are the main things to look at when deciding whether to use it to transfer your money or choose another provider.
- It has competitive exchange rates
- Has a mobile app and online experience
- It has several physical offices across the world – important for people who want to get a one-on-one customer experience
- The minimum amount one can transfer through this platform is $1,000
Sending money through OFX
There are several steps that one is supposed to follow before getting started with OFX. For instance, you will have to set up an account by providing personal information such as social security number, driver’s license among others.
After the company verifies your account and gives you access to the platform, you can then set up your transfer method and start sending or receiving money. The entire process can be done through their platform o your mobile phone.
WorlRemit is has been in the industry for quite a while. Their services are available in 150 countries and transact in more than 90 currencies across the globe.
The good thing about WorldRemit is that they give their customers a variety of methods to send money across the world. For instance, you can send money through cash pickups, bank transfers, or mobile money.
WordRemit is able to effect transactions within minutes.
Pros and cons
There are several advantages and disadvantages that come with using WorldRemit.
- It is available in almost every country on earth
- Their transfers are almost instant
- Provides a wide range of delivery options such as cash pickups, mobile, and bank transfers
- It supports several payment options such as bank deposits, debit cards, and credit cards
- It charges relatively higher fees compared to other money transfer companies
How to send money using WorldRemit
Signing up for WorldRemit is not a complex process. All you have to do is provide your personal details and offer valid proof of your identity in terms of address.
You can scan and upload the documents. As soon as your account has been approved, you can start sending money using different methods available on the platform.
Transfer speed and rates
WorldRemit is one of the fastest money transfer companies. The recipient can receive money in a matter of seconds. When it comes to transferring charges, you might pay anything between $3. 99 to $24.99.
Payoneer is a veteran in the international money transfer industry. The company’s services are present in 200 countries and transact close to 150 currencies. Payoneer enjoys partnerships with international big brands such as Google, Amazon, Upwork, and Airbnb.
All the above companies conduct their payments through Payoneer. The company also works with major eCommerce brands such as Walmart and freelance websites like Fiverr.
Pros and cons
Payoneer is known to perform best in certain areas whereas lags behind in others.
- It is present in more than 200 countries
- There are no charges between Payoneer accounts
- Custom service where you can request payment from clients
How to use Payoneer
The signing up process for Payoneer is not very different from other companies. You will be required to set up a professional profile and then fill in your personal details. You will also need to upload identity verification details such as Driver’s license or passport.
The company will take a few days to verify your documents and decide whether to approve or decline your application.
CurrencyFair is another major online payment company with its headquarters in Ireland. The company is largely known among forex traders and online gambling firms. CurrencyFair currently has a customer base of about 200,000.
The company has also positioned itself as the best platform for cryptocurrency trade. One major advantage of CurrencyFair is that it facilitates almost instant money transfer services across the world.
Pros and cons of using CurrencyFair
It provides a wide range of services that can’t be found in any other money transfer platform. Nonetheless, it also has a few setbacks that are important to consider before you decide to use their services.
- Allows customers to send or receive money through mobile phones
- Their services are available in over 200 countries
- You can transfer money to online gambling platforms
- Allows anyone to buy and sell cryptocurrencies
- Transfers are almost instant
- It has a complex fee structure system
- Their transaction fees are relatively higher
How to use CurrencyFair
It is easy to get started with CurrencyFair. You can either open a personal or business account by providing your personal details and documents for verification. The sign-up process is simple and can take a few minutes to complete.
The company will then take at least 3 business days to cross-check your details before approving your account.
9. Global Reach
Global Reach is a money transfer platform that allows citizens in Australia, Canada, UK, the US, and those in the Eurozone to send transfer money to more than 40 countries across the world.
The company which was founded in 2002 has demonstrated its ability to offer exceptional money transfer services to its customers across the world.
Global Reach has a wide range of payment options and appears to be one of the most trusted companies in the United States and the UK.
Pros and cons
Before you choose to use Global Reach, there are several things you should consider about them. Below is a brief summary:
- The company has various payment methods such as mobile wallet deposits, cash pickups, and bank transfers
- A recipient can collect money from any participating bank in the country
- A sender can lock in the exchange rate after making a transaction
- The amount one can transfer within a day is low
- Some payment options have higher transfer charges
Sending money through Global Reach
The first step involves setting up an account. You will be asked to provide personal details such as email addresses, phone numbers, and social security numbers among others.
As soon as your account is ready, you can choose whatever payment option you prefer and send money to wherever you want.
10. Western Union
Western Union is another giant in the when it comes to international money transfer. The payment method was started back in 1851 – that’s’ more than 169 years of experience in the money transfer business.
Western Union has more than 500,000 agents spread across the world – making it one of the largest money transfer companies.
Pros and cons
Below are advantages and disadvantages of Western Union that will help you make an informed decision:
- Has different payment methods
- It operates in more than 200 hundred countries
- Fast transfer
- Their exchange rates and transaction fees are often high compared to other providers
In summary, XE Money Transfer is our top pick when it comes to transferring money to or from Australia.
Matt is a veteran of the moving industry, a recognized moving expert and is the founder of MoverFocus. Matt holds a Bachelor of Commerce (BCom) majoring in Finance and Marketing and Bachelor of Arts (BA) majoring in Economics and History. He also has completed the EiM (Essentials in International Moving) course from the FIDI Academy. His advice has been featured in Reader’s Digest, Yahoo Finance, MSN Money, Business News Daily and The SpareFoot Blog Go. Read more.